Moving With Children
Moving with children doesn't have to be stressful. Children love a good adventure and will most likely embrace the moving process if they are involved in all aspects along the way. By involving your kids directly in the move, moving with children can be fun, not fury.
At Allied, we've come up with some easy ways to incorporate your kids into the moving process. Not only will this help you, but it will help the kids better adjust to relocating. Asking for their help, fun projects and small packing tasks can all help incorporate your kids in the move. Here are some tips for moving with children and getting your kids excited about your move.
- Tell your children about the move as soon as possible so they don't overhear the news by accident
- Talk with them, sharing the details you think they'll understand - ask about and listen to their reactions
- Children of different ages respond differently to a move. For example:
- Younger children tend to miss familiar people like a favorite teacher, as well as safe and secure environments like church, school or even their bedrooms
- Older children, especially teenagers, tend to miss their friends and others in the community with whom they have relationships
- Involve your children in all aspects of your relocation, if possible, including house hunting, planning the move and tasks that are age appropriate
- Have children help pack a special box with their most treasured possessions - they can even decorate the outside of the box so they can quickly identify it in your new home
- Ask for their input on decorating or arranging things in their new rooms
- Encourage your children to take the time to say good-bye to friends and maintain ties by exchanging contact information
- Make plans to continue your child's current activities (such as Scouts, sports, dance classes, etc.) in your new community - continuity will make adjusting to a new location much easier
The above tips for moving with children are suggestions for ways to get your kids involved with the move and prevent them from becoming maladjusted in their new living situation. Also, letting the kids help pack and house hunt can be of great assistance to you during the busy time of moving. After all, everyone needs a little extra help packing. It makes your kids feel special and needed in this important time of transition.
Moving with children can be a rewarding experience for both you and them. Moving should be a time of excitement and adventure. By involving your kids in various aspects of the move, you can reduce their stress levels and ease your tension about moving with children.
+4021 221 95 46
Need a Free Moving Estimate?